Monday, January 19, 2009

I feel so accomplished.

I haven't been on here much lately. I have been reorganizing my house and it has been fabulous! I have cleaned out closets, cupboards and drawers. I still have several more to go but I am very happy with my results so far.
I have completely reorganized my kitchen. I have moved so many things that Caleb is complaining that he doesn't know where any of the dishes go. Well, I tell him, the kitchen makes more sense this way. Get over it! Its nice to not have little ones anymore. I can finally put Pyrex dishes and glass bowls down in the bottom cupboards. I am LOVING it. It is awesome!

I also attacked the linen closets and the game closet. I actually folded all the blankets, sheets, towels and tablecloths that had just been thrown anywhere that they would fit. When I was cleaning out the game closet, I discovered boxes that I had never unpacked. So, after 2 1/2 years I have officially moved in! I also organized all the games and threw away the ones that were missing pieces. It looks so great!
Then I attacked the boys' dressers. I took out everything and refolded them. I made sure that the clothes that I put back in the drawers actually fit too. I made a hand me down pile for Carson and a give away pile. I'm still working on their closets. This will be a huge project to do also. I have to decide which books goes to which kids bookshelf. And they have a lot of books! It will be tedious, I'm sure.
I also FINALLY have a formal living room. We used it as a storage room for a while because the furniture that we had didn't look right in there. But Santa brought me a new couch. It is my antique room with lots of family heirlooms. I'm sure people think its weird with all the old fashioned stuff but it makes me happy. I still have to decorate it but at least the boxes are gone!
The laundry room is halfway finished. It is the worst room in the house! Its where everything goes to die. I guess that's where you put stuff when there's no other place to put it. Basically, its a junkyard. I can't believe the stuff I have found in there. Like decorations that I had put in there intending to use them but they got stashed in some random cupboard instead. Or the silverware that goes with the china that we inherited from Allan's grandparents. The list goes on and on and will get longer, I'm sure.
I also detailed my car. It was such a disaster! It's either been too hot or too cold to clean it out. But with the weather in the 60's, I had no excuse. It looks so nice and it smells so good too. I really need to do it more often. But I probably won't because in a few months it will be too hot again!
But the craziest part of this whole thing is that you would think with all this organization that I would have taken down my Christmas lights by now. NOPE!! Yup, you guessed it. I'm the only person in the neighborhood with their lights still up. Well, some of them are up, some of them have fallen down. I'm becoming white trashier every day I leave the lights up. I'm fully aware that my neighbors are thinking this about me. But I have so many wonderful, organized spaces now! I'm sure that the lights will come down soon. If not they will finish falling and then I will pick them up! Either way works for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I am impressed. WOW - you are one woman on a mission and your house looks great! I wish I could just spend two weeks at home straight to de-junk and get uncluttered. I hate looking at boxes of "stuff" I keep piling up in my garage.

I love your new couch, too, and I think it's totally awesome you have an antique room full of furniture that makes you happy.

p.s. You should go read Jeff's comment on my blog regarding his Christmas gift to me. Ah, that dear guy - can't help but love him. :)

Heidi said...

Way to go on the organizing Amy! Wanna come organize my room now? LOL And don't feel too bad about having your Christmas lights up, I just took down my Christmas tree on Sunday. The way I see it is that you have 30 days after Christmas to get it taken down. So you are still in the grace period. LOL

tina said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I would love to get off my lazy, procrastinating butt and actually start organizing something. Maybe tomorrow...