Bullies.
I really don't like them.
At all.
So, as a mom, I've delivered LOTS of lectures on bullies. Such gems as:
~If I ever catch you bullying any one, you will live in your room for the rest of your life.
~Mean people suck. Don't be mean.
AND, the one he probably hears the most often:
~If someone is every bullying your friend, you stand up for them. If you get in trouble, it's OK. I have your back.
Caleb came home from school the other day and told me that 3 boys were picking on his friend and he stood up for him. Said friend is one of those super sweet kids that just lets things roll off his back. But Caleb was annoyed that these kids would even pick on him because (Caleb's words) "He's nice and these boys were just being mean because they could." Well, it turns out that I know this friends mom (of course I do, between Allan and I, we know everyone...) and I told her what happened. Because I would want to know, wouldn't you? And then I would want to hunt those punks down and put the hurt on them. (Does that make me a bully? Don't mess with mama bear!!!)
Skip forward to today. I get a phone call from the school counselor. He tells me what an amazing kid I have and that he can tell he has good parents for teaching their son such an important thing! So I'm totally tearing up, trying not to cry, as this man is telling me what a wonderful kid I have. As I said on Facebook today "My cup runneth over." He was so impressed because the anti-bullying assembly is next week and Caleb did this on his own, with no other encouragement other than his conscience. By this time, I'd gotten rid of the lump in my throat and could muster a "thank you" to all his praise. Turns out the mom called the school and mentioned that Caleb stepped in to stop the little punks (she probably said it nicer than that, she's nicer than I am)
When I picked Caleb up from school, he told me that the counselor called him in, praised him for about 30 minutes and gave him several rewards. Also, all the teachers were high fiving him all day and telling him what a great kid he is! He got his name announced over the intercom for stopping a bully. I asked him if his friends made fun of him and he said "No, they didn't really say anything." (Typical boys!!!) I asked him if he was embarrassed and he said no. Then he said the thing that brought the tears back again. "I'm just trying to make our last name respectable again." (Those who know us, knows what this means)
So, excuse the brag-filled post. But I want him to be able to read this story to his kids someday and teach them to stand up for what is right.
Wood Mantle with Hidden Storage
3 years ago

3 comments:
What an awesome kid! I love that little guy...and what guys and courage to stand up and do the right thing. He does have great parents! I am goin to have Caden read this, too.
Sorry, that was supposed to say "GUTS and courage" -- not guys. :) Thanks for sharing the story, Amy!
I love this story!!!
Post a Comment