Caleb had a soccer game the morning of Halloween. We got there a little bit early and so we were just relaxing and talking to the other parents that were there. All of a sudden, Allan says to me "Hey, there's a message on my phone from a hospital, its about your mom." So I listen to the message and its a nurse telling me to call them right away, its regarding my parents. Then she gave me the wrong number. Either that or his phone glitched and so the number sounded different, which I believe is what happened.
Anyway, I called my brother Jeff so he could google the hospital in Keokuk, Iowa that they had been taken to. He got a hold of the nurse and she told him our parents had been in a head-on collision and they were still alive. And then the phone cut off and so that's all we knew for a while. Then the nurse called Jeff again and told him that they were going to X-Ray and they would call us back as soon as they knew anything. So he called me and told me that and I just started crying because I was so relieved that they were alive. Keep in mind I'm still at a soccer game and trying to keep it all together so I don't freak out Caleb until I get all the details about my parents. So after about 15 minutes I get a phone call from the nurse. I was told that my parents were lucky to be alive because it was a pretty bad crash.
Here's what happened: They were on a road by the Mississippi river and they went around a bend (its a bendy road) going between 45-50 miles and hour and BAM! There's a car in their lane and they have very little time to react. So they hit head-on.
My mom had some pretty nasty injuries from seat belt and airbag. Not to mention the fact that she has asthma and the particles from the airbags were making it so she couldn't breathe. She thought she was dying at one point because she couldn't breathe. My step dad tried to get out of the car to help her and realized that he couldn't. He had broken his pelvis, shattered his left hip and broken his right knee. All he cared about was making sure my mom was OK. He told the EMT's to take care of her first, while sitting there broken and not saying anything about it. If that isn't true love, I don't know what is.
I started to make arrangements that day to go out to Illinois to take care of them.

No comments:
Post a Comment